Car of the Week: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF I GTI




Hey Guys
Todays Car of the Week is a real Classy, the VW Golf I GTI that is "also for shopping in walking speed to drive smoothly."


I can still remember the "Generation Golf" add of the late 90's in one of my Dads Motoring Magazines. I ripped it out and glued it on one of my exercise books in middle school. Already then I realized that I'm part of this Generation, even though the Car in the add was the mk3 I'm totally in love with the mk1, especially the GTI. THE real and one and only GTI!

But what does GTI stands for?
GTI stands for Grand Tourisme Injection what means that these are likely to be sporty Cars with a gasoline direct injection engine. In 1976, the first year of the GOLF GTI, 81 kW (/110 HP) and an empty weight of 810 kg were figures of at that time sports cars and the Golf was able battle them. The 1,6l engine was able to push the GTI in 9,2 seconds from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) and 182 km/h (113 mph) in maximum.

The little whirlwind (the Golf got the name cause of the German word for Gulf Stream; matching to the era when Volkswagens habit was to give their Cars windy names) got up from the fall 1982 model a 0,2l plus for its engine, it now had a 1,8l one and gained a new maximum speed of 190 km/h (118 mph).

The base price in 1976 at 13.850 DM what would be something like 16.300 Euro nowadays. Just imagine you get SUCH a Car, today, for such a price... it would be the relaunch of a reeeal Volkswagen.

Sadly todays GTI don't have the massive sporty look the GTI model had in the 1980's compared to the normal Golf I. But it was "also for shopping in walking speed to drive smoothly." according to a press release.










Lisa

Comments