TEST DRIVE: Audi RS6 Avant – Family Car or Sports Car?


Hey Guys

The third generation Audi RS6 C7 features a 560 PS (412 kW) 4.0 litre biturbo V8 TFSI engine with an eight-speed tiptronic automatic transmission, cylinder on demand, a fuel consumption of just 9,8 litres per 100 km/h (30 % less than its predecessor) and does the 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 3,9 seconds. That's it, the main Data and everything Important. Anything else you want to know about the Audi RS6 Avant?

For sure you want! Through my Facebook I've asked you to submit Questions, so I will answer them first and write my final result and 'on-hands-experiences' at the End. YOU count, so your answers first ;-)



Lauren asked via Twitter: “All I need to know, are they the most perfect cars ever?”

Good Question! I would say it depends on your personal wishes and needs, so if they fit the S3 or RS6 really are the most perfect Cars ever!

Michael asked via FB: “How do you feel driving the RS6, as a woman? And how does the performance-difference between the S3 and RS6 feel?”

I can definitely say, I haven't felt myself like “Lost” in the Big Car. The seats give even a smaller person/woman enough side hold.
As I've been driving the RS6 with the s-tronic (automatic) and the S3 as a manual I don't think that I compare them to 100% according to their performance-difference and how it feels, but in general, sure, you can feel the 260 PS (191 kW) difference.

Ralf asked: “Does he serve the usual clichés, of beeing a representatives Car?”

Hum, well ... it's sporty, a lot can be loaded, you don't have to be ashamed when someone sees you driving in it .. so, yes!


Miika asked: “On RS6 where the brake disc are pretty much the size of a small town, does it really stop like it to a wall ”

I have admit, I haven't tested it in front of racing against a wall, but I've had some situation on the Autobahn where I had to reduce the speed veeery fast, and the RS6 ceramic-brakes did it confidentially.

Kody asked: “Do they launch good?”

Yes, they do! If you want to can use the launch control (RS6) – turn the ESP off, right foot on the gas pedal, left one on the brake, and then ... goooo!


For more Pictures, check out the PICTURE GALLERY: Audi RS6 Avant


A little instruction … all my future Test Drive Reviews will consist of these following criteria .. answering quick but detailed what I think about each Car. (Is there anything I should add? Let me know!!)

What's so special?

I've already listed some of the the special and main facts above, but there is some more you should know about the new RS6 Avant: While developing the new model everything was trimmed on Dowsizing! (Read more: Audi's future innovations)
For sure, the V8 still sleeps under the hood, and screams loudly if you want to, but if you are for example driving on the Autobahn/Motor Way with a constant speed optional with the ACC (adaptive speed control) you can first avoid a higher fuel consumption because your foot will be never able to stay at the same angle for hundreds of kilometers, miles, hours etc and second, if the Car notices that you are driving constant (and not constant on top-speed) 4 out of the 8 cylinders will be deactivated. More exactly the COD (cylinder on demand)-system deactivates cylinders 2, 3, 4 and 8 by closing the valves and stopping fuel injection and ignition to them. The system is based on the Audi valvelift system (AVS). But don't be scared, this sounds more technical than it really is, the switch happens in a hundredths of a second, while driving you really notice nothing – except the lower fuel consumption.

You might have noticed it in the Pictures – or not – the RS6 Avant is wider and lower than the regular A6 Avant. Thanks to the RS adaptive air suspension it's 20 millimeters lower and 60 millimeters wider in total.

What I also like are the (optional) LED headlights. With a color temperature of 5,500 Kelvin their light resembles the daylight. So it's easier for the eyes at night. Plus they are maintenance-free, in comparison to normal headlamps.



What's to like?

To huuge trunk volume – 1680 litres will be enough for a regular groceries-shopping or even for a Shopping-Trip to IKEA. Going on a Holiday with the kids, and taking eeeverything they want with you, no Problem!
The MMI Infotainment-System, If I had an Audi, I couldn't live without it!!
With a total power of 1.200 watt the Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System is like the sweetest dessert, for your ears. The 15 speakers really haven't disappointed me.

What's to dislike?

The only thing that kinda annoyed me during our few-hours Test was that I wasn't able to open the back doors for at least 90°. For sure I haven't measured it but I imagined that it could be a bit too unspacious (I don't know the right word right now..) if I had to fix a kids seat or a kid in the seat in the back.


For who is it?

As it's the Avant model (station wagon) it is definitely for People with the need of a huge trunk volume AND for fans of a sporty driving style. Families, Businessmen, Businesswoman, etc.

Price?

The Base-Price of the Audi RS6 Avant C7 starts at 107.800 € and the sky is the limit..

For you guys in the US, there won't be the RS6 Avant for you, but the RS7 is not bad either!



So, in the End I would say, the Audi RS6 Avant is more a proper Family Car than a real Sports Car. Or just the right mixture of both!


If you have any more questions, just ask!
(either comment below or drop me an E-Mail, you find it here: About)


Audi RS6 and S3 Test Drive Review Overview:




Lisa

Comments